Search without automatically adding "in:" folder

aaronb

23 Oct, 2017 12:19 AM

Recently search has defaulted to searching only in the current folder (e.g., if you are in box, the search automatically begins with "label:inbox". When I search I usually want to search all mail, not just that folder.

It would be great if there was an option to search all mail by default, rather than the current folder.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Airmail on 28 Oct, 2017 04:08 PM

click on the search in the left panel it will not default to any folder

2. 2 Posted by aaronb on 06 Nov, 2017 06:05 PM

It would be great if this were an option for the keystroke, too.

3. 3 Posted by Daniel on 09 Nov, 2017 02:33 PM

Is there an option to disable this feature? I always hide folders by default and it's annoying to automatically add "label:inbox" in search box. I mean, it's useless for Inbox Zero user like me.

4. 4 Posted by Jeffrey Gerlach on 09 Nov, 2017 03:38 PM

Totally agreed. I try to have a 0 inbox and therefore I'm frequently searching for archived content. It should default to a global search.

5. 5 Posted by julian miller on 10 Nov, 2017 12:51 AM

Yes, it is so frustrating to have to delete what appears there each time.

Give users the options from some kind of drop down there but don't put in the wrong info each time by default.

The main reason I got Airmail was because search works and Apple mail search just does not work well for many emails. Search means a lot to me.

Please have the search field empty by default and offer all options (from, to, attachements, etc) as a drop down and the beginning of the search field or the end of it. that would be more useful and educational for all users.

Thanks,

6. 6 Posted by shopper2 on 10 Nov, 2017 07:44 PM

I agree, I usually want to search all folders, all accounts as I don't always remember which account I used at the time. I too have to remove the tag/labels that appear there. I would prefer a side panel with checkboxes to select common filters like... limit search to this account, limit to the Inbox, etc. but not assume it will be Inbox.

7. 7 Posted by Gary Leatherman on 20 Nov, 2017 05:56 PM

+1 on this. Not have a keystroke tied to the search all without the lable:inbox default is a pain and productivity loss for me.

8. 8 Posted by benbathgate on 21 Nov, 2017 05:04 AM

I agree. This is an irritating and unnecessary new behaviour.

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Airmail on 23 Nov, 2017 04:35 PM

v462 fixed it

10. Airmail closed this discussion on 23 Nov, 2017 04:35 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac