Difficulty making Airmail beta default email app

stuart

08 Oct, 2017 03:10 AM

I had Postbox set as the default email client in Apple Mail, but cannot get Mail to change the default to Airmail beta, even though it is listed as an email client in Mail. Setting the default to Airmail beta doesn't 'stick' when Mail is closed.

This could be related to Postbox having been set as the default client from within Postbox. I haven't found a way to get Postbox to release its grip on email. I'll also forward this bug to Postbox support.

1. 1 Posted by stuart on 08 Oct, 2017 04:53 AM

FIXED -- the problem is a common one in OS X. I had to rebuild the Launch Services database by issuing the following command in Terminal:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain user;killall Finder;echo "Open With has been rebuilt, Finder will relaunch"

Apple Mail then accepts the change to Airmail beta as the default client, and Postbox shows that it is no longer the default email client (Preferences > General -> Check but DON't click set as default email client!)

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac