Sent messages when offline all show "failed"

diamond_d

21 Aug, 2016 05:16 AM

Every time I am offline and send messages, they show "failed" and do not send when I get back online. If I spend time away from wifi and then reconnect to wifi, I would expect all my messages to send as soon as an internet connection is made. Now, I have to open each on in the drafts folder and click the "send" button again. Are others experiencing the same issue? Outlook never had that issue.....

1. 1 Posted by Andy on 14 Nov, 2016 07:37 PM

Yes, same issue here, and I agree I'd expect these messages to be queued for sending next time I'm online.

2. 2 Posted by Nigel on 27 Nov, 2016 07:48 AM

I have the same problem, right pain really. One of the reasons I switched from Outlook was the beautiful GUI, Gmail shortcuts and some other features, but the whole experience with offline mail is making me switch back to Outlook.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Airmail on 27 Nov, 2016 07:05 PM

how we can replicate this?

who did you manage to get the mail in "Failed"?

4. 4 Posted by Andy on 27 Nov, 2016 07:39 PM

For me it appears to happen when my Mac has a network connection but that connection isn't providing internet access. This happens regularly on my daily rail commute. I connect to the train's WiFi network, but as we travel through rural areas access to the internet drops out.

As well as causing failure of sent messages I've found that most folder actions fail. e.g. I delete a load of messages in Airmail, but they don't get deleted on my mail server. (I can still see them on my phone and if I login to the web app.) Airmail doesn't give any indication that the deletions (or moves) have failed to propagate to the server.

Others may have other scenarios in which it occurs.

Hope that helps.

5. 5 Posted by Nigel on 27 Nov, 2016 09:54 PM

The scenario where Outlook really shines is, say I have a flight coming up, I can download all my mail while I have internet connection at the airport, then whilst I'm on the plane I can respond to all my mail, and whilst it doesn't send it just sits in the Outbox. When I get internet connection again upon landing, Outlook will just email out all the pending mail in Outbox and make all read status updates in my inbox.

My recent experience with Airmail is that whilst I can download all my mail prior to my flight just fine, and I can respond to everything ok, when I land again:
    - none of my changes have been made, i.e. read emails still stay unread - I have to go into Drafts, which now show a "Failed" status, and open each mail I've sent whilst offline and resend them individually.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Airmail on 16 Dec, 2016 11:51 PM

we improved in v400
    still the problem persists?

7. 7 Posted by Nigel Ng on 19 Dec, 2016 10:48 PM

When did v400 get implemented

8. 8 Posted by Bart on 11 Feb, 2017 11:44 PM

I have similar issues, seems to mostly happen when I have no or a bad internet connection, such as sometimes in my home or at an airport. I feel this mainly happens with replies, rather than with "original" mails, so if I redact and send an email to someone they will mostly go through, but when I reply to an email or thread, my reply usually ends up in my draft box, as "failed to send" and I mostly will not be able to send it off anymore, also not when I reopen the mail and press send again. Only solution then is to copy-paste the text in a "fresh" new email and send it off, having my reply falling out of the thread... Attached pic of mail trying (and failing) to send as I am writing this, so connection is weak but works...

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Airmail on 20 Mar, 2017 05:27 PM

what account exchange?

10. 10 Posted by diamond_d on 26 Mar, 2017 04:48 PM

I have still had this issue this month. I have been updating to latest version every time. @Nigel is exactly correct; I think it happens when I am connected to a network but the internet connection is intermittent. So instead of waiting for a better connection, it just crashes and says "failed"

For me these are all google apps email accounts.

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Airmail on 29 Mar, 2017 03:15 PM

I did a fix it will be in the next beta
    ETA this week

12. 12 Posted by Andrew Chapman on 07 Apr, 2017 11:24 PM

Still a problem in build 420 (v3.2.4)

This is an absolute deal-breaker for me, I don't understand how such an otherwise great email app can fail so badly at the fundamental task of either sending an email or letting the user know it failed.

I am testing Airmail at the moment as a replacement for Thunderbird. I had sent a bunch of emails lately which hadn't got any response, so I went looking for why.

It turns out MANY OF THE EMAILS WERE NEVER SENT!!! I found them as this thread says, secretly hidden away in the drafts folder with 'Failed' next to them.

If an email app fails to send at the time, it needs to either:
    1) automatically send later, as soon as it can; or
    2) make it very, VERY clear to the user that they weren't sent, and given them an easy option to trigger that sending later

Airmail seems to have been written on a flawed assumption that the user has a solid internet connection 100% of the time. People like myself who are frequently working while travelling can tell you this isn't the case.

So, sorry Airmail, but you've just lost my trust with this disrespect of delivery 'sanctity'. When I hit 'send' on an email I need to know that it will be sent, if not right away, then as soon as possible, not silently failing (other than a brief and temporary osx notification popup).

AC.

13. 13 Posted by Bart de Graaf on 07 Apr, 2017 11:28 PM

Totally agree to below. I had actually already given up and moved to the
    Outlook app, which however sadly also has a few flaws of its own.

Guys&girls @ Arimail: please take this tread seriously, as it will make you
    loose more and more users. And that would be a shame because as Andrew says
    below, otherwise your app is great.

Thanks
    Bart

14. Support Staff 14 Posted by Airmail on 07 Apr, 2017 11:30 PM

well before testing be sure to be on latest version
    v 420 has a regression with connection detection
    update to v421
    https://rink.hockeyapp.net/apps/84be85c3331ee1d222fd7f0b59e41b04

15. Airmail closed this discussion on 07 Apr, 2017 11:30 PM.

16. diamond_d re-opened this discussion on 08 Apr, 2017 03:45 AM

17. 15 Posted by diamond_d on 08 Apr, 2017 03:45 AM

Not only are messages NOT being sent when I reconnect to the internet, but when I manually send them they break from the message thread they are a part of and start a new thread, which is really annoying. I completely agree with Bart and Andrew: if this email client only works when I'm connected to the internet, why even use it!?!? Might as well stick with gmail in a browser, because I just never know if these messages are going to be reliably sent or not.

18. Support Staff 16 Posted by Airmail on 08 Apr, 2017 03:50 AM

check the beta version are you on 421?
    and yes AM resend remaining las soon as it connects back

19. 17 Posted by diamond_d on 08 Apr, 2017 06:20 PM

I am on 421. I still got a message that failed to send. In this case, I was connected to a network, but did not have an internet connection. It was while I was in the process of paying for an internet connection on an airplane, so it looks like the system thought I was connected and tried to start sending, even though there was not a connection, and it failed. I am done dealing with this. Honestly, I am so frustrated at this point. This has been an issue with Airmail for many months now.

20. Support Staff 18 Posted by Airmail on 08 Apr, 2017 06:30 PM

interesting is a gmail account?
    AM will fail when no connection/unstable connection
    but will retry the send 3 times later

21. 19 Posted by diamond_d on 08 Apr, 2017 06:33 PM

yes, this is for a gmail account. It did not retry the send, just showed failed and kept in the drafts folder, even after a stable connection was obtained. i got a notification from AM that the message couldn't be sent.

3 times doesn't seem like the right approach. if there is no stable connection, AM should continue checking if a stable connection is established and then send all messages once there is internet. that's how every other off-line email service in the world works.

22. Support Staff 20 Posted by Airmail on 08 Apr, 2017 06:35 PM

what you say makes sense
    probably AM tried 3 times during a flaky connection and marked the email as failed
    are you sure that when you relaunch the app Am did not try to send the email?

23. 21 Posted by diamond_d on 08 Apr, 2017 06:43 PM

I didn't try that because I was still in the process of working on other emails. It's hard for me to test this, because it only occurs when I am in the process of connecting to a hotel or airplane wifi for the first time (with connection but no internet access).

24. 22 Posted by Bart de Graaf on 08 Apr, 2017 06:45 PM

I will be traveling through Latin America and Europe for the coming 3-4
    weeks. Will try and get that Beta installed on my macbook and see what
    happens. keep you posted.

25. Support Staff 23 Posted by Airmail on 08 Apr, 2017 07:03 PM

if you can provide feedback is welcome
    I can also provide a version with verbose logs for sending

my idea is that when AM check the internet reachability it obtains a false positive
    but the bandwidth is not enough to send the email
    the best solution would be to track the error type and do not manage it as a proper send failure

in the bar view under the 3dots button > more > you can send logs
    i you can specify a time frame when the event occurred

26. 24 Posted by diamond_d on 08 Apr, 2017 07:12 PM

I just sent my logs in, as you said. I believe the error occurred at around this time stamp
    2017-04-08 14:13

27. 25 Posted by diamond_d on 17 Apr, 2017 08:32 AM

I have figured out a work-around for this, but it's really annoying. I manually turn off my wifi and work in offline mode in airmail. I then quit airmail, login to a new wifi network, and when I have full connectivity I relaunch airmail and my messages send. Have you figured out any ways to fix this? Again, this is a serious flaw of the program.

Also, when the messages do send after being offline, they all break from their message thread (they become message 1 of a new thread even if they were replies to a previous thread). That is a huge problem, because I have to go searching for previous messages in the same thread.

Please please please try to fix these offline sending issues. This should really be a priority for your software.

28. Support Staff 26 Posted by Airmail on 17 Apr, 2017 08:58 AM

I don't understand
    when you back online the app does not detect that you are online?
    seems an issue solved in v250

or are the messages in sent queue all just failed?

29. 27 Posted by diamond_d on 17 Apr, 2017 09:02 AM

I am using v421, so I'm not sure what 250 is...

This work-around was to avoid the software attempting to send but failing when I was in the process of authenticating a new wifi network, as I described on April 8.

But as I said, the problem now is that when the messages do send after showing "waiting" they all break from their message threads and start a new thread.

30. Support Staff 28 Posted by Airmail on 17 Apr, 2017 09:17 AM

yes v421
    I guess the solution is to extend the number of retries
    about the thread problem i cannot replicate it

31. 29 Posted by diamond_d on 17 Apr, 2017 09:20 AM

The thread problem is quite bad for me. Is there any information or a log I can give you to try to understand what is going on?

32. 30 Posted by Ddawg on 21 Apr, 2017 03:14 AM

I have this issue as well and it's crazy frustrating. Most of the value of a desktop client is to read, write, send emails when offline to have them synch when back online. What's the fix for this? Manually "sending" the emails isn't work.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

16 Nov, 2018 05:20 PM
16 Nov, 2018 01:10 AM
15 Nov, 2018 07:25 PM