Search glitches

Skooch

28 May, 2017 03:34 AM

When you search there are some issues:

1. LOTS of emails show up when you enter your initial search filter - including many emails that do not fit the search filter criteria.

2. There is no ability to search on multiple filters - if I wanted to search for DRONE IMAGES, I can only search DRONE or IMAGES as the search takes the latest entered word only. This makes the search filtering much less effective than it should be.

3. If you leave the search screen up and minimise Airmail, or go to another screen, after a while when you return the search bar will have a rotating spinner and the rest is blank - returning to INBOX will result in INBOX ZERO message and it stalls there and cannot do anything. It needs to be quit and restarted to work properly.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Airmail on 28 May, 2017 02:59 PM

can you record a video? http://d.pr/i/t4sXMp
    and let us know more about your configuration (how many account, what type gmail?/exchange) how many mails you have in the app

to search multiple terms use "drone images"

2. 2 Posted by Mike Coleman on 28 May, 2017 11:32 PM

Sorry, I love the product in every way EXCEPT it's search capabilities, which are frankly abysmal !!
    Like a lot of people these days, I don't bother to file, as search will always sort it out for me unfortunately except in the case of Airmail, I usually have to resort to Mac Mail in order to find things which is VERY frustrating.

Some examples;
    I have a colleague called Paul o'Hagen, I'm not sure if it's because of the ' in his name but searching for his email address retrieves zero results, yet if I type Paul without even a having to press return in the search dialogue box, all the email which he is either copied or has sent appear.

I often want to search the body of an email typing a word into MacMail will find it in the body of an attached PDF, Airmail won't even find it in the body and often not even the subject of the email itself.

As I say, love the product BUT search really, really sucks! :-(

Mike

3. 3 Posted by Skooch on 26 Jul, 2017 04:42 AM

Hmmm ... this has been left for a while, but nothing seems to have been done anyway.

#3. It is not possible to make a video, because the crashes happen when I am doing other things, not sitting in Airmail searching emails. (Although I will attempt to do so).

Also, it should be fairly easy to filter on emails by EXCLUDING emails that don't comply with the filter ...but this just doesn't happen unless you drill right down, and even then, after a few seconds all the other emails pop back into the search results.

I have numerous email accounts set up (about 7) and 6 are dedicated IMAP server accounts, and 1 is Exchange. Not sure how or why this may affect any of the above issues.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Airmail on 04 Sep, 2017 03:29 PM

did you update
    to v448?

5. 5 Posted by mtjoseph on 16 Dec, 2017 06:32 PM

Airmail beta Version 3.5.3 (466).
    IMAP account: YAHOO

Adding a different scenario to this thread:

Inaccurate/incomplete search results when using the search filter box with keyword s, specifically "has:attachment", but also others too.

The has:attachment search term does not show all emails with attachments. Only a small subset of emails are displayed. However, if I use the Filter bar, Show messages with Attachments, a much larger set of emails is displayed.

I am quickly coming to the conclusion that search is not reliable. This negates all other positive benefits. If I can't find or am not sure I'm viewing all relevant emails in a search result then I may actually be acting on incomplete information. Unacceptable.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Airmail on 22 Dec, 2017 06:43 PM

the search does not return all the results
    just 5000 the search is intended to be refined
    for attahcment use the filter

7. 7 Posted by degreecy on 25 Jan, 2018 01:33 PM

Just moved to Airmail, and I am extremely disappointed with the search functionality - it simply does not work.
    1. Searching within a specific account takes >10 seconds to come up with anything
    2. Results are patchy
    3. Does not search across all mailboxes

I am reverting to spotlight which pops up the messages instantly and/or going back to Apple Mail to find mails that were sent to me even yesterday.

What is the plan to fix this and cannot it be integrated with Spotlight rather than inventing your own search engine ?

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Airmail on 28 Jan, 2018 02:52 PM

please send the console logs using the ... menu

9. 9 Posted by Skooch on 05 Feb, 2018 06:11 AM

Still no attempt at a solution for this one form the developer ?

Is searching not a priority for you?
    It is for me - the user !!
    How can so many of your competitors get it right, and Airmail doesn't ? Just wondering...

10. 10 Posted by Cole on 05 Feb, 2018 05:44 PM

So I am running the current production version next to the current beta version. The current production version cannot send my signature properly, which the current beta version does, so yea. However, when I do a search, the current beta version misses a number of emails that it should find, and the current production version does find them. I have found I can reproduce just by having the two open side-by-side. I've not determined why it finds the ones it does as there appears to be no pattern.

Cheers,
    Cole.

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Airmail on 05 Feb, 2018 05:50 PM

can you post the search screens?

12. 12 Posted by Craig on 22 Mar, 2018 11:46 AM

Hi there,

I have found countless reference to search issues without solution. I was previously able to put in two keywords and the results would return those emails with both words - now it is only the 2nd term entered. Why??

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by Airmail on 22 Mar, 2018 12:11 PM

the search results are missing or just the hilight is missing?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

13 Aug, 2018 06:09 PM
11 Aug, 2018 06:26 PM
09 Aug, 2018 06:21 PM